Saturday, March 10, 2012

Adventures in the West of Ireland

The Falls Hotel. This is the beautiful place we were able to eat our delicious meals for free for the day. Including the best freshly baked scones and tea in the morning followed by dancing lessons in the banquet hall with the lovely Mary Clancy. (funny story about an Indian guy she made me dance with, but ill save that for a later date when i have more time to write)
The Falls outside the Falls Hotel.
More of Lahinch Beach but this time on a sunny day :)

Lemenagh Castle - The Burren (built by Connor O'Brien)
Our tour guide explained to us the story of how the Aillwee cave was found and it went a little like this: "One day a man went for a walk with his dog. His dog chased a rabbit down into a hole in the ground and the man chased down after it stumbling into the cave system." He then went on to say that the story got back around town that, "Jake chased a rabbi down a hole and trapped him cowering in a cave." This made me laugh quite a bit so I figured I'd share. The tour guide then proceeded to leave us and since I was in the front of the line I was left to lead the group finding our way out. Needless to say I can check "successfully lead a tour group through a cave system in Ireland" off my list...even if it wasn't on there in  first place its now listed and checked. Anyway, I was proud of my sense of direction in the dark.
Water fall in the cave. A little ways down from the water fall we also saw bones from a bear dated over 2000 years old which was neat because bears have been extinct from Ireland for thousands of years.
Looking out in the direction of the Aran Islands.
Sleepy animals.
Windy road through The Burren

Keep posted for Mowgli and Baloo's adventure of the mysterious disappearing castle

1 comment:

  1. I can't decide if "Sleepy Animals" or "Looking out in the direction of the Aran Islands" should become my new desktop picture. I'm leaning towards Aran Islands, but that leaves more blank space, so it might have to be the adorable creatures!
    And, one more thing, I love how you added in 'Mowgli and Baloo's adventure,' it made me chuckle when I read that!
    Keep having awesome adventures and insane amounts of fun, dear!! :)

    ReplyDelete